Monday, June 7, 2010

Sole Searching

(image via weheartit)

Growing up, we didn't have a lot. My mom was a single parent and times weren't always great. But I never knew that. My mom did so much to make sure we had everything we needed (and often, what we wanted), that we always had something fun to do (making homemade dinners, riding bikes around the neighborhood, doing crafts), and that we could always look back on our childhood with a smile, and a boatload of happy memories. Some of my favorite memories were times where my mom would take us to volunteer. I remember donating our old clothes several times a year, making Christmas cookies for needy neighbors, and working at many a soup kitchen. As we got older, my family volunteered for Meals on Wheels, hosted Christmases for families in need, and we have been avid supporters and volunteers for Special Olympics for years. I was always filled with such joy, such humility in helping others. Because we could relate to people in tough times, and because many times we were the ones on the receiving end of others' acts of kindness, I think it really stuck with me.

When I started college, I knew 'greek life' wasn't for me. It just seemed too " " for me. I had no intention of joining a sorority, not because I thought negatively about them, but because it just wasn't me. Or so I thought... 5 months after starting my first semester at Tech, I rushed Miller Girls, one of the only service organizations at Tech. Ya, it was pretty much a sorority, without the greek ties. But you know what I loved the most about it? The service. I built playgrounds for Habitat for Humanity, I cooked dinners for families at the Ronald McDonald House, I cleaned highways, volunteered at pet shelters, read to children, called bingo for senior citizens... the list goes on and on. And I loved it. Of course, on an early Saturday morning after a night out, hammering nails or cleaning up trash wasn't my idea of fun, but I got so much out of serving--service to the community, and to others. And I didn't think I would say this after my college days were over, but I miss it terribly.

I have been talking with Troy for quite a while now, about how to get involved and give back again. We do the usual - pick an angel or two off of the Angel tree at Christmas, donate our clothes, participate in charity events at work, etc. I even contacted Habitat for Humanity a while back, but sadly, with no response. But I guess I have just been going through the days, hoping something will really jump out at me, something I can be passionate about. Today, it happened.

I was reading a photography blog that I love -- i heart faces -- and they were featuring an organization called Soles4Souls. Once I read more, it hit me that this is not only the perfect charity for me to get involved with (shoes!), but it is one that touches so many people, every single day.

Soles4Souls is a Nashville-based nonprofit that distributes shoes to people in need throughout the world. Soles4Souls has given away over 5.5 million pairs of shoes since 2005—that’s one pair every nine seconds! The idea for Soles4Souls was formed in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, when Wayne Elsey, a footwear executive at the time, collaborated with his friends and colleagues in the industry to send over 1 million pairs of shoes to victims of the disaster. He admits that he did not expect such an immediate and successful turnout, and the response left him wondering, “Why not start a non-profit and do this all the time?” One year later, Soles4Souls was formally created. "I'm happy to be able to help people with such a simple mission," Elsey said. "The growth of this organization has been rapid and I am excited to get involved on a daily basis so that I can devote more time to a cause that makes a difference in people's lives.”


So, how am I going to get involved? Well that is something that I am very excited about! Soles4Souls accepts all types of shoes: athletic, running, dress, sandals, pumps, heels, work boots, cleats, dance, flip flops, just as long as they are new or gently worn (and donations, of course!), and then distributes shoes to people who are very much in need of them. My tiny part in this amazing initiative comes in the form of a shoe drive. I will be volunteering to collect as many shoes as possible over the next eight weeks, and will ship them to the Soles4Souls warehouse once the shoe drive is complete. I am also asking for $1 per pair to help with shipping costs, if you can. If not, I will gladly take care of that part. I would rather have your help sole searching!

I know that we have dozens of shoes we do not wear, or have barely worn, and that will serve a better purpose on the feet of a teenager in Haiti, a mother in Zambia, or a man here in Texas in trying to find work. That's the great thing about Soles4Souls - they send shoes to people all over the world.

We are on a mission! I am going to start soliciting at work, in my circle of friends and family, at Troy's work, through our community, my blog, facebook, local shoe stores -- whatever we can do to collect as many shoes as possible, and get them to people who need them. I hope that you will too!! We will also host a 'drop-off' party at the end of the drive, to collect all of the shoes, box them up, and hopefully celebrate our contribution to such a great organization. Get ready for the Evites, fliers, and texts! I am very excited about this, and if all goes well, we may even host another shoe drive toward the end of the year. So please, if you are reading this and want to start donating, I will gladly start collecting. Talk to your friends, neighbors, family members, or co-workers and let's do something amazing. I will post progress here on our blog, and maybe even a few incentives to get the ball rolling :)

Thanks!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment