Friday, June 4, 2010

Puerto Vallarta - Dia Tres, Quatro, y Cinco


Puerto Vallarta just kept getting better as the days went on. Sunday, we did our P90X workout then headed to the infinity pool to reserve some chairs, then it was off to breakfast. I don't know where it came from, but I LOVE salmon for breakfast - smoked salmon with cream cheese on some sort of carb. I sure as heck wasn't raised on the stuff (closest I got was a can of vienna sausages!) but I absolutely love it. And I ate it...a lot...like every morning. Okay, I may have refrained on the last day, but seriously, I couldn't get enough. I should have snapped a pic of that goodness... Anyways, we spent the day lounging at the pool and getting some sun, breaking only for a tequila tasting by the pool ;) We were planning on going into town to check out the cathedral and the market, but Troy got sick, so we opted to stay in. Everyone went for a nap and I snuck away to the secluded pool to finish my Chelsea Handler book, Are You There ,Vodka? It's Me, Chelsea. Which is freaking hilarious, might I add. Not for the weak of heart, or proper of mouths, or proper of anything really. Just dang funny. I plan to read Chelsea Chelsea Bang Bang next :)



That night, we went to dinner off of the resort, to a place called El Set. Troy's dad and Carolyn recommended it, saying that they ate there on their honeymoon and it was the best food and best view around. They weren't lyin'!

The view was beyond breathtaking and the food was delish, especially the margaritas. We celebrated Amy's birthday while we were there too, which was too fun. We had a blast, and believe it or not, we were the only customers in the entire restaurant...the entire night!! I know, that doesn't speak too highly of the place, but we got there super early, and there weren't a lot of tourists on Sunday anyways, and well, I don't know why they weren't busy...maybe this has something to do with my stomach bug/parasite/virus...interesting...


That night, Troy got sick again (bad) so he went to bed early and Blake, Amy, and I went down to the beach for a bonfire and concert. We sang along to Brown-eyed Girl, Sweet Caroline, and a few ACDC songs before calling it a night. We were ziplining in the morning, and we wanted to be very well-rested :)

7:30 bright and early, we cabbed over to the local Quickie Mart (okay, it was an OXXO, but you get the point) and waited for our transportation to the mountains. We waited for freaking ever, but they finally came and we loaded into a crowded military-style bus for a 45-minute ride from hell. Oh, I'm sorry; do you sense my frustration? Ya...I was frustrated, and I am just getting started! :) We got to the top of the mountain, changed into appropriate gear, said farewell to our belongings, much to my fury; you know me - I wanted to take pics, yes while zipling, yes while repelling down a waterfall, yes while riding donkeys with 30 lbs of gear on. I am hard core with my photography madness. But the dudes made us leave all of our stuff behind, so I angrily mounted my donkey and rode up the trail to the first platform. Ya, that's right - I rode a donkey, named Pimienta. There are no photos of that...




We completed about 13 zip lines, some at 45 degree angles, some over completely treacherous valleys, others down waterfalls, into springs, and even one completely crazy vertical repel. On the last line, Troy and I got to go together and race...he was ahead for the majority of the race but I decided to not break until the last possible moment (remember, hard core.) and so I beat him in the end :) We had a good time and it was crazy watching everyone fling their bodies over cliffs, down rocks, and into open nothingness.



I noted a few very important things for our next zipline and hence, the reason we did not purchase but one photo out of the 100+ that they took of us:
  1. Do not wear shorts. Unless you are anorexic. Frist - the girls have cameltoes and the boys look like they are seriously in pain. I don't think the guys can avoid the awkwardness that comes with a harness around their noonads though. Plus, the harness shoves your shorts up the entire time, and you sit into the harness while ziplining in manner that smashes your thighs down into flat pancake-ness. Not flattering...at all...regardless of your size. Next time, I will be wearing Nike pants in blackest black, regardless of the heat index.

  2. Do not wear a t-shirt, especially a white one. Ya, I was wearing a swimsuit (see #3), but t-shirts just stretch out when wet and white doesn't look good wet on anyone, unless you are Brooklyn Decker or something.

  3. Do not wear swimsuit bottoms. Ow. Reason one - stradling a donkey. Reason two - harness. Reason three - wet swimsuit + rock climbing = bad situation. Just sayin'

  4. Consider wearing a sports bra, or you will constantly be making sure your tatas do not jump out of your top and reveal themselves through your wet white t-shirt, especially on the ride back on the monster truck sans shocks.

Okay, I know, I am complaining, but it was pretty fun :) Next time, massage! On the way back, the driver must have sensed my angst. He stopped at a family-owned tequila farm (?) and we all sampled tequila straight from agave. Yummm. We bought a chocolatey coffee version of the sinful stuff, which was amazing. I plan to make cheesecake with that bad boy very soon.


We enjoyed a nice lunch when we got back, then lounged on the beach for a bit. I got bored and wanted to snap some pics of 'real Mexico' so Troy and I went off to the market while Blake and Amy sat poolside. It was interesting, and not exactly what I thought it would be, but we got to do some walking around and mingling with the locals, which we love (more 'local' pics soon).


We headed to dinner that night for a final hoo-rah, at a nice little place Troy had been eyeing since we got to the resort (they were only open for dinner). We walked in and immediately took tequila shots. That was a sign of the night we had in store...The waitor made us all wear sombreros, kept bringing us tequila shots, served us the strongest margarita I have had in a while, and we indulged on the best authentic Mexican food we'd had in a while. A few hours later, and a lot less people around us (hehe), we left the restaurant and headed to our little hangout spot for drinks. After a few rounds of 'would you rather' and quite a few more drinks, we called it a night.



We left that next afternoon, after a walk on the beach, more photo-taking, and one last mixed drink. It was a great trip (minus the illnesses) and we really want to go back again. Kudos to the Dreams Resort PV - beautiful, fun, and a great place to relax!


No comments:

Post a Comment