Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Viva la Vida!

The atomic number of manganese... The size of the full roster on a major league baseball team... A freeway that runs from New Mexico to Wyoming...The number of cents in a quarter... Quarter of a century....

That's right! As of yesterday, I have officially turned the big 2-5. I must say, it is not as bad as I thought it would be. But, for the first time in a very long time, I feel like I am taking charge and gaining some perspective on who I want to be, what I want to do, and how I want to live. About a month ago, I decided (we decided) that it was finally time to take some time and get focused. So, that is what I am doing and boy, it has already started to pay off. More details later... (if you don't know already)


So, I think that all things considered, I had the absolute best birthday. It started with a flood of messages from friends and loved ones sharing birthday wishes (thank you!) followed by a yummy lunch with Troy at one of our favorite lunch spots, Cafe Bistro at Nordstrom in the Galleria. I usually go for their killer shrimp salad but decided to forego the norm - hey, it's my birthday! So I ordered braised beef short ribs with sauteed shitake mushrooms over creamy cheddar polenta (yuuuum). Troy surprised me with a slice of paradise chocolate cake for dessert and I slipped happily into food heaven. The pictures say it all...




Since I was already at Nordstrom, well it only made sense to do a bit of shopping! I got a few great deals - a pair of jeans and a cropped sweater wrap - and headed to Toni and Guy for a birthday haircut. After my new 'do, I went home to get ready for dinner. Troy met me there with one of my favorite flowers (definitely the best smelling) - Lillies. There were 25, one for each year!

Dinner was at one of my (our) favorite places, Rioja, a Spanish restaurant near our old apartment. It reminds us of Spain and the food is the most comparable to Spanish cuisine that we have tasted in the states. Since we don't go there much now that we have moved to Katy, I felt it fitting to celebrate my birthday there with good food, sinful sangria and some great friends.

Lindsey, Taylor, Blake, Patrick, Erin, Troy, Me, Amanda, Whit, Allison, Louise, Lori, Jacob, Sarah and Matt.

Rioja


Patrick & Erin's Paella

Whitney and Me

Early birds, waiting for the guests to arrive

Happy Birthday to me! (flourless chocolate cake)

Dinner was really nice and everyone got to order some delicious food. Check out Sarah's blog for more photos from the celebration, including a great shot of everyone toasting, thanks to my amazing and thoughtful sister who (from Austin) called the restaurant and ordered a bottle of champagne for the table to toast my big day. I love her so much!

It really was a wonderful birthday and as we drove home that night I truly felt so thankful for the love that surrounds me. I have some wonderful friends, a very thoughtful and loving family that I am sure I do not deserve, a husband who spoils me beyond belief, and another great year ahead of me.

1 comment:

  1. Good group shot! The waiter actually got everyone in the pic!

    ReplyDelete