Thursday, March 11, 2010

Taking Chances

Over the past few months since taking my leave, I have tried to be very open to new possibilities and new challenges--whatever comes our way. Not many people get the opportunity to do something like this and I am so grateful. I have learned and done things that I didn't think would be possible a few months ago {10k!}. This growth period hasn't just been limited to work, creativity and all that stuff though. It has carried over into something bigger and has started impacting several areas of our lives. Funny how that happens...

I won't bore you with all of the details, but I have had some health stuff come up, some issues more recent than others, and it has really jerked me into reality that we are not getting any younger {ya, I know, 25 is sooooo old} and that our bodies {my body} doesn't respond the way it used to. I can work out like crazy, and not see much change. We can eat salad for a week...no change. I get sick more often and don't have as much energy as I used to. Troy has a history of various health issues in his family and we are both more aware that the decisions we make now will affect our lives in the future. Of course, everyone {and I mean everyone} seems to have an opinion and what to do, what to eat/not eat, how much to work out, etc. etc. etc. I started doing some research on my own though and found out some very interesting things about food and what we put into our bodies. So we have made some changes, and are really happy with them.

Then on Tuesday, when we were at the rodeo with Lindsey and Taylor {told ya, the rodeo has taken over!} Lindsey was telling me about someone we know who read a particular book about food and it changed her life. I remember thinking "whoa, changed her life? Some book." She also said that the reader was expecting the book to be just another one of those finger-pointers--you know, those Vegetarian/Vegan-boosting, carnivore-bashing, McDonald's-dissing pieces that catch my attention but usually make me roll my eyes. But, apparently it was TOTALLY different than she expected. It peaked my interest but it wasn't like I was going to go out and buy the book or anything. Or so I thought...

Last night I was watching a recorded episode of Ellen {love her!} and author Jonathan Safran Foer was on talking about his book Eating Animals. That was the book Lindsey was telling me about! Here is a description of the book from eatinganimals.com, which I feel sums the book up best:

Like many others, Jonathan Safran Foer spent his teenage and college years oscillating between omnivore and vegetarian. But on the brink of fatherhood—facing the prospect of having to make dietary choices on a child’s behalf—his casual questioning took on an urgency. This quest ultimately required him to visit factory farms in the middle of the night, dissect the emotional ingredients of meals from his childhood, and probe some of his most primal instincts about right and wrong.

This book is what he found. Brilliantly synthesizing philosophy, literature, science, memoir, and his own detective work, Eating Animals explores the many stories we use to justify our eating habits—folklore and pop culture, family traditions and national myth, apparent facts and inherent fictions—and how such tales can lull us into a brutal forgetting.

Marked by Foer’s moral ferocity and unvarying generosity, as well as the humor and style that made his previous books, Everything Is Illuminated and Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, widely loved, Foer’s latest tour de force informs and delights, challenging us to explore what is too often conveniently brushed aside. A celebration and a reckoning, Eating Animals is a story about the stories we’ve told—and the stories we now need to tell.


Ellen also had letters from and discussions with viewers {of ALL ages} whose lives were changed by this book. I like to consider all sides, listen to several opinions before jumping into something like this. I thought that these people had a realistic view of this controversial issue though and it was refreshing. The author himself even said something along the lines of "I am a human and I am not perfect. But I must try do my part." He talked about people preaching about being green, and then getting on an airplane, which is the single most detrimental thing you can do to our planet. But it just proves that WE ARE HUMAN, and sometimes convenience or finances or desire rule our decisions. Jonathan Safran Foer isn't asking us to become vegetarians {though many probably will now}, he is just asking that we look at the facts and make an informed, positive step in the right direction. Will everyone who reads the book cut out meat all together? Probably not. Let's be realistic. Several readers said the same thing, which was encouraging. They found it hard to go 'cold turkey' - no pun intended - but they are starting to make changes.

I am all about signs lately and I just thought this couldn't be a coincidence. And if it was, well, I am going to try to see it as something more. So I have decided {with the unexpected blessing of my hunt-and-kill-BBQ-master-burger-loving husband} to read Eating Animals, and incur whatever guilt, eye-opening, disgust, or irritation that may {or may not} come along with it.

Wish me luck... I'm off to the bookstore.

3 comments:

  1. hey chelsea,
    i read this book not knowing anything about it, other than i just thought it was going to be more of a cultural manifesto about vegetarianism (i already knew foer was a vegetarian; i've read his other books and know a bit about him) and how and why some cultures eat meat and some don't. just be prepared that this book is only a little bit about that. as a result of reading this book, i'm no longer eating meat. to be fair, i didn't eat much meat to begin with, but now i won't eat meat UNLESS i know exactly where it comes from, but even then i've been tentative. i'm trying to be vegetarian in the least pain in the ass way possible, and it's not too hard other than going out to eat or having friends over for dinner/going to their house for dinner. i'm a little over a month in to not eating meat, and so far so good. i'm interested to hear what you think after reading (also be forewarned, there are several parts that nearly made me ill or want to cry, neither of which i could do because i read this book on the plane...so much for me being green, i guess). i suggest farmers markets whenever possible; there are several here in austin and i've been shopping there nearly exclusively for about a year.
    anyway, this book definitely changed /my/ life, and i like the path i'm going down now. i feel better about the choices i'm making and while i know they're not for everyone (my boyfriend still eats meat all the time, but i'm not going to get after him for doing so) i'm enjoying the change so far.
    good luck!
    katie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Katie,

    I am about 50 or so pages into the book and OMG. It has already started to change me! I love it. I love how Foer presents all sides and all the facts and doesn't get preachy, so you get to make decisions for yourself about what to do with that information. It is really refreshing and I am JUST getting started with it.

    I haven't eaten meat in over two days (I started the book on Thursday) and I am actually really enjoying it. Salad and pasta never tasted so good :) We went to a farmer's market (two) on Saturday and it was so amazing - farm fresh food, free-range eggs... we got so much stuff. And I think it actually tastes better! Troy likes it too, which I was not expecting :) But he wants to go back to the market next weekend and I am looking forward to it!

    I don't know if I am going to be a vegetarian or vegann or not, I guess time will tell, but I have committed to buying only grass-fed meats when we decide to buy meat (though I have been just fine with no meat so far). I know that Troy wants to eat meat here and there and that is totally fine by me; it will definitely be grass-fed though!

    Like you said, the hard part is eating out, because there aren't a lot of options and there is almost no way to know where your meat comes from. I expect hosting/eating with friends will be hard too, but I guess we will have to see where it goes.

    I am really excited about the change and really happy that we are doing something to improve our health, and that of at least SOME of the animals we get our food from. My mom has been eating kind of like this for a while now and she was thrilled when I told her about the changes we are making. She said I sounded just like her - talking all 'organic' this and 'free-range' that LOL! I agree with you though, I don't want to be that annoying 'vegetarian' or 'organic' girl, but I figure it is no different than when people 'arent eating carbs' or whatever.

    Thanks for commenting; at least I know that the motivation and change that comes with reading this book is one that can last, if committed. I will definitely let you know how I progress as I read the book. Troy wants to read it next (eek)...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know what to think about all of this. The book definitely seems interesting, but I love meat way to much. I don't think I could give up all the cookouts. :) I think it's cool you're making a change though. Keep me posted!

    ReplyDelete